- Capsule Bio
Professor Kleissl researches the interaction of weather with engineering systems, in particular buildings and their energy use, solar power systems, and irrigated lands. He developed the first building energy use model that is coupled with weather processes in the urban canyon and urban fluid mechanics through large eddy simulation. This models can be used to study the impact of urban surfaces on human comfort and energy use. For example, even though artificial turf get very hot in the sun, it was found to reduce energy use of nearby buildings due to a reduction of window transmission of solar radiation. Kleissl is also an expert on solar resource assessment and forecasting and is co-director of the California Solar Energy Collaborative and Vice-Chair of the American Solar Energy Society resource applications division. Using high frequency solar irradiance measurements and whole sky imagery, Kleissl's research group has developed cloud tracking and intra-hour solar forecasting models. These models are expected to be critical to facilitate economical integration of large amounts of solar power into the electric grid.
Jan Kleissl received a Ph.D. in 2004 from Johns Hopkins University and was a postdoctoral fellow at Michigan Technological University from January 2004 to October 2005. He was a postdoctoral fellow at New Mexico Tech from October 2005 until he joined UC San Diego in November 2006.
- 2013 Solar First comprehensive analysis of soiling impacts on real-world PV system performance. full paper.
- 2013 Solar Cloud speed impact on solar variability. Updated Wavelet-Based Variability Model (WVM) for Solar PV Power Plants. full paper.
- 2013 Solar A high-resolution, cloud-assimilating numerical weather prediction model for solar irradiance forecasting. Full paper
- 2013 Infrared thermography to study surface-temperature and surface-layer turbulence in a convective boundary layer. Full paper.
- 2013 Solar Energy dispatch schedule optimization and cost benefit analysis for grid-connected, photovoltaic-battery storage systems. Full paper.
- 2013 Solar Cloud speed detection from ground sensors. Full paper
- 2012 Solar A Method for Cloud Classification Based on Ground Based Sky Imagery. Open Access. .
- 2012 Solar A Wavelet-Based Variability Model (WVM) for Solar PV Power Plants. Also see full paper.
- 2012 Urban Energy Effect of Reflective Pavements on Building Energy Use. Open Access
- 2012 Urban Energy An indoor–outdoor building energy simulator to study urban modification effects on building energy use – Model description and validation. Also see full paper
- 2011 Solar Solar Forecasting with a Total Sky Imager. Full paper
- 2011 Coupling between surface and air temperatures in the convective atmospheric boundary layer. Full paper. Movie showing surface temperature patterns at 1 sec resolution (38 MB).
- 2011 Solar Evaluating numerical weather prediction models in the US. Full paper
- 2011 Urban Energy Fundamental measurements and characterization of heat transfer on a building wall. Also see full paper
- 2011 Urban Energy Sharpening low-resolution thermal urban satellite data. full paper
- 2011 Scintillometer saturation correction methods. full paper
- 2011 Urban Energy Reduction in roof heat flux through solar panels. Also see press release and full paper
- 2011 Solar High frequency irradiance fluctuations and geographic smoothing. Full paper
- 2010 Solar Optimum azimuth and tilt angles for solar energy systems. Full paper
- 2010 Solar Variability and geographic smoothing of solar power in Colorado. Full paper
- 2010 Solar Validation of the National Solar Radiation Data Base in California.
- 2010 Estimating biomass heat storage using thermal imagery.
- 2010 Urban Energy Effects of artificial turf on urban climate and energy use.
- 2009 Large aperture scintillometer network for ground truthing of remotely sensed evapotranspiration in New Mexico.
- 2008 Large aperture scintillometer intercomparison study.
- 2006 Application of Large Eddy Simulation to atmospheric boundary layer flows.
- 2006 Development of a simple model to predict Mountain Clouds.
- 2004 My dissertation: Subgrid-scale modeling for large eddy simulation (8 MB)
- 2004 Measurements of forest-fire particulates from Quebec at the Baltimore EPA supersite.